Instagram

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 9, 2013

A little bathroom decor



A year and a half after moving into our new house I finally found/made something for our bathroom wall! 


So the day after I got home from Georgia I was still super pumped about this little creation the lovely ladies from Truth Be Told Art taught us to make at the shower 

my favorite thing they taught us was how to distress the edges. Soooo I knew I had a canvas, paint, letter stickers and some burlap ribbon....and that I had a very bare bathroom wall that needed some love. I also knew that I wanted to distress something...and so it began.

Don't pay attention to those letter stencils...I never used them on this project 
I placed the stickers on the canvas where I wanted the words to be and then gently dabbed paint over them with a big dot sponge brush. These stickers were a good font but they didn't really stick to anything so I had to be really careful. 

Once I got the whole canvas painted I pulled the letters off. I did end up going back over a few spots to fill in the paint where it looked a little light.

then I had to add dots. I'm pretty much addicted to my dot sponge brush! 

And the last paint step I did was to try and distress it.
I actually didn't have brown paint so I ended up mixing red and green paint together to make brown. It made a nice brown color that worked really well! 

Finally after applying a coat of clear matte spray laquer I added a burlap ribbon and bow

I really like the way it turned out, and I didn't spend any money on it because I had all of the supplies leftover from other projects. However, I probably would have chosen a different shade of green if I had gone to the store to pick out colors, but thats the shade I had. 

The whole thing probably took maybe an hour, just because you have to let the paint dry between each color. 

So not only did I end up with a super cute chevron painting, but I also learned how to distress things with brown paint and I pretty much haven't stopped using the technique ever since! 


No comments:

Post a Comment