Instagram

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Give Thanks" Door hanger


I posted a picture of this door hanger I made a few weeks ago on facebook, but I figured I'd also post a little tutorial on how to make it.

It's pretty simple, and uses a lot of the same techniques I use when I make my stenciled frames!


Of course I didn't take step by step pictures because at the time I wasn't sure I would post a tutorial. So I'm going to try and do it without pictures :/

Okay so you'll need

1. A piece of plywood (or any other board/canvas)
2. Pumpkin cutout
3. Ribbon (two kinds)
4. Acrylic paint
5. Stencil
6. Paint pen
7. Foam brushes
8. Craft glue

The two things on that list that are a little strange and you may not already have at home are the wood and pumpkin cutout but.....they are easily found at your local craft store!

Below is a link to the size plywood craft board I used..and also the pumpkin cutout.
Via
Via  (or local craft store)
The pumpkin is made from craft foam and was actually a little wide for my board so I just drew some lines going along with the curve of the pumpkin and trimmed the edges following those lines. I also had my awesome husband drill some holes into the plywood before I began painting so I could string some ribbon through at the end.

First, I painted the whole board my base color which was an antique white. Then using my stencil found here...
Via

I stenciled my board with a color called "Mississippi Mud" which I now love! 

Next it was time to paint my pumpkin. Now, the pumpkin was already orange when I got it but it was a very bright highlighter orange, so I went over it with another orange paint to tone it down a little. I also painted the edges brown to cover up the exposed white foam from my trimming. I then painted the stem a combination of green and brown, and the final step was to use brown and white paint to give it some dimension. 



I then made a faux bow using this tutorial and glued it onto the pumpkin. Next, I used some painters tape and taped the pumpkin on temporarily so I could see where I wanted my text to be. Then using a gold paint pen I added on my text. After that all I needed to do was glue on my pumpkin and string some burlap through the top so I could hang it. 

I'll probably be making one of these for every season and then one we can hang when there isn't a holiday because I love the color it adds to the pantry door :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment